Skip to main content

"What can I do for peace in Iraq?"

"What can I do for peace in Iraq?" asked someone to Cliff Kindy, a long time CPTer in Iraq, at one of his six seminars at the Cornerstone Music Festival. Cliff replied, "What I am sharing is what I experienced, which is one view of Iraq. Get other views from a number of news sources , talk to people who have been in Iraq, especially soldiers. They need to tell their story and we need to hear their story for our healing and their healing. We need it for the healing of our nation. We can not expect the government to provide this. The churches need to do this." Several times Cliff reminded people how important getting other points of view and connecting with people who have been in Iraq is to build a lasting peace in the world.


Here at our Cornerstone Booth is Hilda a woman from Norway signing up to be on our mailing list, one of the over 300 persons who did so.

One of the leaders of the band Me with out You put in an unsolicited but good plug for CPT at Main Stage before some 6000 fans one evening. It greatly increased the interest in CPT. The leader came to our booth for a while to talk.

I was very grateful for the seven others who helped talk to people at our booth this year. They did a super job, seems I could not have picked a more dedicated and sensitive group of people to represent CPT and to stand up in a wholesome way to the challenges of people who disagree with us. Doing this is central to peacemaking. One women who disagreed with me said, "You are the most open person I have ever met". So maybe I am making some progress. Six of my helpers are hoping to do CPT training soon.

Rod Orr one of our helpers listened to one soldier, who supported the war tell nearly in tears how he killed a seven year old boy who was about to shoot him, and than how he had to strangle his Dad when he came at the soldier with a knife. What an emotional memory to live with. War is hell for everyone involved, even us who have to listen to such stories. Rod remarked, "I try to just listen and give them hope by offering an alternative to war."

There was an Army chaplain just down the way in our tent with whom three of us each talked for over a half an hour with. Cliff even exchanged email with him so they can have further conversations. The Chaplin said, He was doing this work of recruiting chaplains because he did not feel he could handle returning to Iraq for a while.

We kind of built a short time of significant community amongst us in our times of sharing and prayer as we started each day. That was an added gift .

I recently began to practice a simple meditation exercise to help me get in touch with what is going on in my life. It helped me work through some concerns about my blood pressure that were weighing on me more that I was conscious of. If you would be interested in information about this exercise let me know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Incredible Prime Minister

           An Incredible Prime Minister     Dear Friends, a hopeful happening,                  Two years ago, Ethiopia was a basket case. The government seemed to be losing control The majority Oromo people were restive under a rule that seemed to rob them of their place. The traditionally powerful Amhara rioted. A state of emergency brought silence on the surface, but underneath the nation seethed. Civil war threatened. A foreigner was killed. Tourism waned. Finally, the prime minister resigned. The church prayed earnestly. Then, unexpectedly, eight months ago, the relatively unknown Abiy Ahmad was elected prime minister. What followed was equally unanticipated. In a bold, courageous acceptance speech; Ahmad announced a policy of peace, love and unity for the nation and its relationships with the rest of the world. He made sweeping promises and, to the surprise of a world cynical of political promises, kept them. “We need friction but not hatred, argument but not insult,”

"The Repairman's Mother In-law"

Dear Friends, "My mother in-law Nellie read that Peace Pilgrim booklet you gave me. She was very moved by it, and she would like to read more by Peace Pilgrim. Do you have any thing else? And she would like to talk to you too," our repairman excitedly said to me. I responded, "I don't have any thing else by Peace Pilgrim, but you can give her this book Restorative Justice by Howard Zehr." Later I got to talk to Nellie. Nellie then shared, "Oh yes, that was really inspiring. We have to build peace person by person and house by house by the way that we relate to and treat each other. What Peace Pilgrim has to say is very important. And I really like the book Restorative Justice that I am now reading. I especially like to read stuff like that." I responded, "When you get that one finished, I can loan you another book!" The political saga continues in Barranca. A prominent Catholic priest, Padre Francisco, a close consultant to the Mayor, who is

un acontecimiento esperanzador

amigos,  un acontecimiento esperanzador  este es un acontecimiento esperanzador! Hace dos años, Etiopía era un caso estancado. El gobierno parecía estar perdiendo el control. La mayoría de las personas Oromo estaban inquietas bajo una regla que parecía robarles su lugar. La tradicionalmente poderosa Amhara se amotinó. Un estado de emergencia trajo silencio en la superficie, pero debajo de la nación se arremolinaba. Una Guerra civil amenazaba. Un extranjero fue asesinado. El turismo disminuyó. Finalmente, el primer ministro renunció. La iglesia oró fervientemente. Luego, inesperadamente, hace ocho meses, el relativamente desconocido Abiy Ahmad fue elegido primer ministro. Lo que siguió fue igualmente imprevisto. En un audaz y valiente discurso de aceptación; Ahmad anunció una política de paz, amor y unidad para la nación y sus relaciones con el resto del mundo. Hizo grandes promesas y para sorpresa en un mundo cínico de promesas políticas, las cumplió. "Necesitamos