Skip to main content

Our big move and Cornerstone Peace building

The big move is Lyn and I are planning a move to Chicago by November, to be closer to our three children and four grandchildren, and so Lyn does not have a two hour drive to and from work and can more easily commute to Minneapolis to support her mother 95 and aunt 89. We will be part of Living Water Mennonite Church, where the Lord has given us many friends recent years. I have never lived in the city. In my head this seems clearly the right thing to do, though I find it emotionally challenging when I think about leaving Plow Creek community and rural life and moving to the all the noise, cement, and people of the city. We will be in Rogers Park, six blocks from Lake Michigan, which is consoling. I will continue my peace work with the support of the church there. I welcome your prayers for this transition.The unity between Lyn and I on this has been a bonus gift.

"David, how is it going in the Fellowship of Reconciliation booth?" He responded, "I am finding it a real challenge to respond in a peaceful way to these 'Old Testamenters' who keep reminding me about how wrathful God is, and should be!" David calls himself a "neo-theist," meaning he used to be an atheist, but he isn't anymore. We have become very good friends over the many years we visit at Cornerstone. I have tried to encourage them in their work, and he often reminds me, "You saved us from getting thrown out of the fest one time."

A few days later, I said to David, "I would like to share with you something we have been using in our devotions that has been helpful to us in our CPT booth work. I think it might speak to your struggle with people that disagree with you. It is from Romans 14:1: 'Welcome with open arms fellow believers who don't see things the way you do. And don't jump all over them every time they do or say something you don't agree with—even when it seems that they are strong on opinions but weak in the faith department. Remember, they have their own history to deal with. Treat them gently.'"

David responded, "Wow, where did that come from." I answered, "The Message Bible, by Eugene Peterson." He said, "I will have to get one of those; let me write down the name of the book."

One of the many people who mentioned how they have appreciated being on my mailing list said to me, "I work for Starbucks and I have been giving staff and the mangers little lectures about what is going on in Colombia, things I learn from your letters. It seems appropriate since our coffee comes from Colombia. Thanks so much for your letters; I thought you would appreciate knowing this." I responded, "Thanks very much, that is very encouraging to hear."

I gave a slide presentation in Sterling recently to a peace coalition that went very well. Had a lot of good questions about what sustains my hope and prayer. They bought eight books.

Below at our Cornerstone booth, left to right is Tim Nafziger, Charletta Erb, Rod Orr, and myself. Two hundred sixty-eight people signed up for to receive our letters this year. We sold about twenty books, and normally we sell one or two. Rod said, "If they read a book it will have much more impact than if they just read one of our pamphlets, so that is very good."

Pray for:
  • Because of the economic situation, giving to support my peace work has gone down. Pray it will keep up to my needs and the need for peace in the world.
  • Places to share my slide presentations close by here before we move to Chicago. Pray they open up.
-So far local venues are a nursing home, a Nazarene Church, 2 libraries, and 4 days at the county fair.
-In Minneapolis: 4 times at Bethel college 9/8--9/4,
-In Iowa, 9/13- 9/17 7 times at Iowa Mennonite School. , 2 peace groups & English River church of the Brethren.

Shalom,
Jim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Incredible Prime Minister

           An Incredible Prime Minister     Dear Friends, a hopeful happening,                  Two years ago, Ethiopia was a basket case. The government seemed to be losing control The majority Oromo people were restive under a rule that seemed to rob them of their place. The traditionally powerful Amhara rioted. A state of emergency brought silence on the surface, but underneath the nation seethed. Civil war threatened. A foreigner was killed. Tourism waned. Finally, the prime minister resigned. The church prayed earnestly. Then, unexpectedly, eight months ago, the relatively unknown Abiy Ahmad was elected prime minister. What followed was equally unanticipated. In a bold, courageous acceptance speech; Ahmad announced a policy of peace, love and unity for the nation and its relationships with the rest of the world. He made sweeping promises and, to the surprise of a world cynical of political promises, kept them. “We need friction but not hatred, argument but not insult,”

"The Repairman's Mother In-law"

Dear Friends, "My mother in-law Nellie read that Peace Pilgrim booklet you gave me. She was very moved by it, and she would like to read more by Peace Pilgrim. Do you have any thing else? And she would like to talk to you too," our repairman excitedly said to me. I responded, "I don't have any thing else by Peace Pilgrim, but you can give her this book Restorative Justice by Howard Zehr." Later I got to talk to Nellie. Nellie then shared, "Oh yes, that was really inspiring. We have to build peace person by person and house by house by the way that we relate to and treat each other. What Peace Pilgrim has to say is very important. And I really like the book Restorative Justice that I am now reading. I especially like to read stuff like that." I responded, "When you get that one finished, I can loan you another book!" The political saga continues in Barranca. A prominent Catholic priest, Padre Francisco, a close consultant to the Mayor, who is

informe de salud

  Queridos amigos, Les escribo para informarles que hace unas semanas me diagnosticaron Parkinson vascular. Tenía problemas para mantener el equilibrio y caminar. Vi a un neurólogo y me hicieron una resonancia magnética de mi cerebro, y a partir de eso y de mi historial, me diagnosticaron Parkinson vascular. Me siento muy bien con mi doctora. Mi Parkinson Vascular es causado por mini accidentes cerebrovasculares que bloquean la sangre en la parte del cerebro que controla la marcha. El Parkinson vascular afecta principalmente a la parte inferior del cuerpo, y por lo tanto, afecta la marcha y el equilibrio y regularmente no suele provocar temblores. Es diferente del Parkinson clásico que es causado por la falta de dopamina. El tratamiento principal para el Parkinson vascular es tratar de detener los accidentes cerebrovasculares manteniendo bajo control factores como la presión arterial y el colesterol; esto puede evitar que la enfermedad progrese. Por lo tanto, no necesariamente empeorar