Skip to main content

Tobacco Spitters at Cornerstone

Hello friends,

Four fellows slowly walked up to the Christian Peacemakers Team booth and spit tobacco on the ground as I asked, "Would you like to hear how we are working at reducing violence in conflict areas of the world?" They gruffly said, "Yeah."

I gave them the same talk I gave many times during Cornerstone Festival: "Here is CPTer Art Gish in Palestine in front of a tank that was about to run over the farmers' market behind him; he was able to save the farmers' market that day." I ended with, "Would you like some literature?" No, they didn't want any literature, as I thought.

One of them, who seemed to be the spokesman, proceeded to tell us, "I have been in Afghanistan. The Afghan people are really good people. I spent 15 hours a day with them, and I really got to know them. They were so glad we got rid of the Taliban, especially for the liberation of the women. We really helped that country."

I responded, "I agree those were good things that happened there. But what about the increase in drug production and the increase in bombing and terrorist activities in the last while? My contention is that using a gun just is not a way to a lasting peace. In the end it just does not work."

Their spokesman replied, "What do you think is the way?"

I answered, "The way of Jesus and the way of suffering love. Do you know what the Danes did when the Nazis invaded Denmark and said all the Jews must wear the Star of David? The king said, ‘I will wear a Star of David and I ask all Danes to do the same.' They did this, beginning a non-violent movement that saved virtually all of Denmark's Jews. This kind of thing happened in other places during WWII, but we don't hear much about it."

I continued, "I believe such ideas come from God. I believe God wants to give us nonviolent ways to confront violence. In Colombia the paramilitaries (paras) killed a woman whom they thought had killed one of their own, and later found they had made a mistake. There was so much violence happening that everyone was afraid even to retrieve the body. So a Pentecostal pastor, led by the Spirit, retrieved the body and buried it where the paras lived. Because the paras had to pass by the grave daily, it was a constant reminder to them of the awful mistake they had made. As a result, many of the paras stopped being paras and ever since then, the violence has been diminishing. Part of the answer lies in getting on our knees so we can hear the nonviolent actions God has for us."

I then asked again, "Sure you wouldn't like some literature?" He answered, "Well, ok," as they took a newsletter and walked away.

All during this conversation a fellow by the name of David in combat boots stood up close, listening intently. I'll tell you David's story in the next letter.

Shalom,

Jim

I give special thanks for finally being able, after two months of trying, to contact Cesar Garcia, head of the Mennonite Brethren in Colombia, about my working with them sharing about CPT peacemaking. He called me this morning (7/19). He had been out of the country and his computer was down. This finally clarifies what I will be doing in Colombia, which was up in the air until now. More about these exciting changes later. And thanks to all of you who prayed for me about this.

Here is of Shane Claiborne, whose tent was one of the most crowded of the Festival because of his fresh way of sharing the Gospel. He told how Timothy McVeigh wrote home during the first Gulf War saying he was turning into an animal. Shane said that Timothy McVeigh committed the Oklahoma City bombing to show Americans "collateral damage" on our own soil. Shane told about Bud Welch, one of the parents of a victim of the Oklahoma City bombing, trying to have Timothy's sentence commuted. Shane ended this story with the truth, "The closer we are to God, the less we want to cast a stone."

Jim Fitz

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Incredible Prime Minister

           An Incredible Prime Minister     Dear Friends, a hopeful happening,                  Two years ago, Ethiopia was a basket case. The government seemed to be losing control The majority Oromo people were restive under a rule that seemed to rob them of their place. The traditionally powerful Amhara rioted. A state of emergency brought silence on the surface, but underneath the nation seethed. Civil war threatened. A foreigner was killed. Tourism waned. Finally, the prime minister resigned. The church prayed earnestly. Then, unexpectedly, eight months ago, the relatively unknown Abiy Ahmad was elected prime minister. What followed was equally unanticipated. In a bold, courageous acceptance speech; Ahmad announced a policy of peace, love and unity for the nation and its relationships with the rest of the world. He made sweeping promises and, to the surprise of a world cynical of political promises, kept them. “We need friction but not hatred, argument but not insult,”

"The Repairman's Mother In-law"

Dear Friends, "My mother in-law Nellie read that Peace Pilgrim booklet you gave me. She was very moved by it, and she would like to read more by Peace Pilgrim. Do you have any thing else? And she would like to talk to you too," our repairman excitedly said to me. I responded, "I don't have any thing else by Peace Pilgrim, but you can give her this book Restorative Justice by Howard Zehr." Later I got to talk to Nellie. Nellie then shared, "Oh yes, that was really inspiring. We have to build peace person by person and house by house by the way that we relate to and treat each other. What Peace Pilgrim has to say is very important. And I really like the book Restorative Justice that I am now reading. I especially like to read stuff like that." I responded, "When you get that one finished, I can loan you another book!" The political saga continues in Barranca. A prominent Catholic priest, Padre Francisco, a close consultant to the Mayor, who is

un acontecimiento esperanzador

amigos,  un acontecimiento esperanzador  este es un acontecimiento esperanzador! Hace dos años, Etiopía era un caso estancado. El gobierno parecía estar perdiendo el control. La mayoría de las personas Oromo estaban inquietas bajo una regla que parecía robarles su lugar. La tradicionalmente poderosa Amhara se amotinó. Un estado de emergencia trajo silencio en la superficie, pero debajo de la nación se arremolinaba. Una Guerra civil amenazaba. Un extranjero fue asesinado. El turismo disminuyó. Finalmente, el primer ministro renunció. La iglesia oró fervientemente. Luego, inesperadamente, hace ocho meses, el relativamente desconocido Abiy Ahmad fue elegido primer ministro. Lo que siguió fue igualmente imprevisto. En un audaz y valiente discurso de aceptación; Ahmad anunció una política de paz, amor y unidad para la nación y sus relaciones con el resto del mundo. Hizo grandes promesas y para sorpresa en un mundo cínico de promesas políticas, las cumplió. "Necesitamos