Skip to main content

Valle Nuevo, El Salvador Visit

"A thousand saludos (greetings) for Plow Creek. I pray for Plow Creek every day," said Margarita in the attachment. I was glad I could say, "I pray for you daily, too." She than added, "We are so glad you come to visit us; thank you for remembering us; we appreciate it very much. How is so and so¦?" I heard similar words to these over and over through out our week in Valle Nuevo. And they back up their words with the best meals they can afford. What a welcome from some of world's materialistically poorest people, but some of the richest in the Spirit of Jesus.

Margarita will be a recipient of the housing project we initiated this year. There are cracks in her house's adobe walls from the last earthquake, and the termites are turning the wood post into dust. If you are interested in hearing more about this housing project, let me know.

I've visited there at least six times now, and I wasn't sure there was going to be much new. But I found I was pleasantly surprised. One was a renewal of many friendships that have been developing since 1992, when I slept in a hammock at Juana and Simon's in a dirt floor house made of boards salvaged from their refuge camp in Honduras. Today they have a cement block home surrounded by many trees, and a garden which is fertilized from an experimental compost project. Right now with help and guidance from World Vision, they are experimenting with raising chickens and flowers to sell. Even though they have a house, Juana helps with leadership of a Housing Cooperative as a way to serve others.

I gave a slide presentation to 150 of their high school students. They raised some very pointed questions when I shared how the guerrillas and paramilitaries have gotten involved in the drug trade in Colombia. Since Valle Nuevo was a center of guerrilla support during their civil war, they are now looking at the question of whether their guerrilla military fighting was worth it. Many told me they never want it again. They were so interested in the CPT peace work that the Principal just let the session go beyond the allotted time. Thirty students signed up for emails.

I also had an opportunity to talk with some of the recent high school graduates who are attending University. Jenny, one of the first graduates of the newly formed high school, stated, "One of the toughest things at the University is the fact that my goals clash with the goals of many of the other students. It seems that their main concerns are selecting the latest in fashions, and focusing their education on a job which will help them purchase a nice car, and house. Mine is to learn psychology so I can come back to Valle Nuevo to serve the community." Jenny was one of the first graduates of the newly formed high school.

Something new that excited me was an Alcoholics Anonymous group of 80-100 attendees. I see this as a really important part of God's work to improve their community. They also have a very successful hydroponic greenhouse and are marketing tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers. They are in the process of building another greenhouse to expand the business. This kind of economic activity is very important to their future.

Much has changed in Valle Nuevo since 1992. When we visited during March of that year, the Peace accords were signed and guerrillas came in from the hills and turned in their guns. At that time, houses were cobbled together from salvaged boards and tin because everything had been destroyed in the war. There were few trees. In contrast, today many residents have cement block houses and are working hard to create food from their rocky hills. It's a hard life, but they are not giving up.

They appreciated so much our visiting them again. If you have any interest in going along next year, let me know.

I will be giving seven presentations in the St. Louis area between April 9 and 12. I would appreciate any prayer support you can give.

Peace,

Jim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Incredible Prime Minister

           An Incredible Prime Minister     Dear Friends, a hopeful happening,                  Two years ago, Ethiopia was a basket case. The government seemed to be losing control The majority Oromo people were restive under a rule that seemed to rob them of their place. The traditionally powerful Amhara rioted. A state of emergency brought silence on the surface, but underneath the nation seethed. Civil war threatened. A foreigner was killed. Tourism waned. Finally, the prime minister resigned. The church prayed earnestly. Then, unexpectedly, eight months ago, the relatively unknown Abiy Ahmad was elected prime minister. What followed was equally unanticipated. In a bold, courageous acceptance speech; Ahmad announced a policy of peace, love and unity for the nation and its relationships with the rest of the world. He made sweeping promises and, to the surprise of a world cynical of political promises, kept them. “We need friction but not hatred, argument but not insult,”

"The Repairman's Mother In-law"

Dear Friends, "My mother in-law Nellie read that Peace Pilgrim booklet you gave me. She was very moved by it, and she would like to read more by Peace Pilgrim. Do you have any thing else? And she would like to talk to you too," our repairman excitedly said to me. I responded, "I don't have any thing else by Peace Pilgrim, but you can give her this book Restorative Justice by Howard Zehr." Later I got to talk to Nellie. Nellie then shared, "Oh yes, that was really inspiring. We have to build peace person by person and house by house by the way that we relate to and treat each other. What Peace Pilgrim has to say is very important. And I really like the book Restorative Justice that I am now reading. I especially like to read stuff like that." I responded, "When you get that one finished, I can loan you another book!" The political saga continues in Barranca. A prominent Catholic priest, Padre Francisco, a close consultant to the Mayor, who is

informe de salud

  Queridos amigos, Les escribo para informarles que hace unas semanas me diagnosticaron Parkinson vascular. Tenía problemas para mantener el equilibrio y caminar. Vi a un neurólogo y me hicieron una resonancia magnética de mi cerebro, y a partir de eso y de mi historial, me diagnosticaron Parkinson vascular. Me siento muy bien con mi doctora. Mi Parkinson Vascular es causado por mini accidentes cerebrovasculares que bloquean la sangre en la parte del cerebro que controla la marcha. El Parkinson vascular afecta principalmente a la parte inferior del cuerpo, y por lo tanto, afecta la marcha y el equilibrio y regularmente no suele provocar temblores. Es diferente del Parkinson clásico que es causado por la falta de dopamina. El tratamiento principal para el Parkinson vascular es tratar de detener los accidentes cerebrovasculares manteniendo bajo control factores como la presión arterial y el colesterol; esto puede evitar que la enfermedad progrese. Por lo tanto, no necesariamente empeorar