Skip to main content

A "Day Off"

Greetings,

I had a refreshing day off in the mountains of Bucaramango. I stayed in a Catholic religious community, a very quiet place which overlooked some huge mountains. Just watching the mountains does something good for my soul it seems. Big clouds rolled in over the mountains which brought rain in the night. The many different kinds of beautiful flowers which are cultivated here just delighted my being. Quiet service is a central theme of this lay community, exemplified in this saying I saw there, “One who does not live to serve, does not have a life worth living.” The mountains, the flowers, and the quiet service atmosphere renewed my spirit.

While I was still home, I came across some literature in Spanish by and about the Peace Pilgrim, a woman who had spend 30 years walking across the USA sharing about peace. The pamphlet gives suggestions about seeking inner peace and global peace and talks about how they are related. I had asked a Colombian Christian Peacemaker whether it would be appropriate for use in Colombia, and after reading it she gave a very positive yes. I wondered whether she was being overly enthusiastic and just trying to be nice to me. But I brought them anyway, trusting in her word.

At the Catholic community, a group people who work in family well-being for the government were having some meetings. I am reading Dale Brown’s book Biblical Pacifism. While we were waiting for lunch one of them noticed the book and said he had read Gandhi and some about Martin Luther King and was interested to see something that relates pacifism to the Bible.

Then a number of them asked me what I was doing, and I proceeded to tell them about Christian Peacemaker Teams, and how we are trying to put into practice the love of enemies that Jesus taught. One fellow said that one of their presenters had just shared that, “Only people who are weak have to use violence to get their way; strong people with conviction do not need violence,” referring to the armed groups in Colombia and the US government in Iraq. It seems that Jesus could have said that.

He said in their work they have a program for soldiers who wish to leave the paramilitaries or guerrillas and integrate back into society. They have to keep the activities of this program secret for the safety of the soldiers. He shared that they have a lot of men that abuse women and children in the families they work with, and that they are trying to change that so that they treat each other with respect instead.

Four persons ended up requesting information on CPT and the pamphlet on the Peace Pilgrim. One fellow, after reading them, kept saying how thankful he was for them, and that he was going to copy and sent them to all his friends. I exchanged emails and phone #’s with two of the persons, and we hope to visit again sometime. They both prayed for me spontaneously at different points in our conversation, which touched me.

Another fellow I met earlier in the week shared he wasn’t part of a church but that he read the Bible and believed in Jesus and that God puts his Spirit in us. He went on to share that he feels a call to try to help people. I encouraged him to pay attention to this leading. He is in his last year studying social work. I shared the Peace Pilgrim pamphlet with him, which he said he would be sure to read. He is now on my email list.

When Paramilitaries they take over a neighborhood, they become the government, and the way they settle disputes is that they ask one of the persons to leave the area or face a possible assassination. I understand this is a fairly common occurrence in Paramilitary controlled areas. It is often the source of the almost daily assassination reports in the newspaper.

A woman who is working for peace in the neighborhood shared with me that they are giving classes teaching people how to be unofficial judges to help settle disputes. This makes it possible for people can’t get along for some reason to go to these peer judges and not to the Paramilitaries.
She works for the Catholic Church, but pointed out that she was really an ecumenist, and she could be part of any church that was Christian. I said after all there is only one God. She has studied some under John Paul Lederach, an expert Mennonite teacher and practitioner of reconciliation.

These mutual encouragement encounters of sharing about trying to follow Jesus’ way of loving enemies in dealing with troubles personally and at the government level are very enriching to me. These encounters seem akin to what Thomas Keating in his book Open Mind Open Heart calls developing spiritual friendships. He defines a spiritual friendship as a relationship of mutual sharing of thoughts, feelings, problems, and spiritual aspirations. I sense I’ve developed this kind of relationship to some degree with many of you. They are gifts.

Peace to you,

Jim Fitz

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Incredible Prime Minister

           An Incredible Prime Minister     Dear Friends, a hopeful happening,                  Two years ago, Ethiopia was a basket case. The government seemed to be losing control The majority Oromo people were restive under a rule that seemed to rob them of their place. The traditionally powerful Amhara rioted. A state of emergency brought silence on the surface, but underneath the nation seethed. Civil war threatened. A foreigner was killed. Tourism waned. Finally, the prime minister resigned. The church prayed earnestly. Then, unexpectedly, eight months ago, the relatively unknown Abiy Ahmad was elected prime minister. What followed was equally unanticipated. In a bold, courageous acceptance speech; Ahmad announced a policy of peace, love and unity for the nation and its relationships with the rest of the world. He made sweeping promises and, to the surprise of a world cynical of political promises, kept them. “We need friction but not hatred, argument but not insult,”

"The Repairman's Mother In-law"

Dear Friends, "My mother in-law Nellie read that Peace Pilgrim booklet you gave me. She was very moved by it, and she would like to read more by Peace Pilgrim. Do you have any thing else? And she would like to talk to you too," our repairman excitedly said to me. I responded, "I don't have any thing else by Peace Pilgrim, but you can give her this book Restorative Justice by Howard Zehr." Later I got to talk to Nellie. Nellie then shared, "Oh yes, that was really inspiring. We have to build peace person by person and house by house by the way that we relate to and treat each other. What Peace Pilgrim has to say is very important. And I really like the book Restorative Justice that I am now reading. I especially like to read stuff like that." I responded, "When you get that one finished, I can loan you another book!" The political saga continues in Barranca. A prominent Catholic priest, Padre Francisco, a close consultant to the Mayor, who is

informe de salud

  Queridos amigos, Les escribo para informarles que hace unas semanas me diagnosticaron Parkinson vascular. Tenía problemas para mantener el equilibrio y caminar. Vi a un neurólogo y me hicieron una resonancia magnética de mi cerebro, y a partir de eso y de mi historial, me diagnosticaron Parkinson vascular. Me siento muy bien con mi doctora. Mi Parkinson Vascular es causado por mini accidentes cerebrovasculares que bloquean la sangre en la parte del cerebro que controla la marcha. El Parkinson vascular afecta principalmente a la parte inferior del cuerpo, y por lo tanto, afecta la marcha y el equilibrio y regularmente no suele provocar temblores. Es diferente del Parkinson clásico que es causado por la falta de dopamina. El tratamiento principal para el Parkinson vascular es tratar de detener los accidentes cerebrovasculares manteniendo bajo control factores como la presión arterial y el colesterol; esto puede evitar que la enfermedad progrese. Por lo tanto, no necesariamente empeorar