Skip to main content

Spreading Peace in Taxis

Hello friends!

"Would you like something to read on peace?" I asked the taxi driver as I had done probably a half a dozen times to taxi drivers in my trip to Bogota. He responded, "Sure, I am always interested in reading." I told him about Peace Pilgrim's 28 years walking and sharing about peace in the USA and gave him a Peace Pilgrim booklet.

And than I said, "You know I am sorry to say that I feel a lot of the conflict here in Colombia is caused by the million dollars a day my government gives in military aid to Colombia. Can you imagine the lobbying being done to keep the war going by the big US corporations who are supplying those arms?" He responded, "That has been my analysis too. It seems your government wants to keep the war going for the business it generates."

I am reading Confessions of an Economic Hit Man by John Perkins. It is about Perkins' life of working to convince governments of poor countries to go into debt to do large electrification projects. Perkins would manipulate the numbers to convince governments to accept the project, which would make government leaders very wealthy. The interest from these loans would than saddle the people of the country with a debt forever to the World Bank and other such institutions. In the process, numerous big corporations like Bechtel and Halliburton make the profits by doing the work in the deal. This book is the story of Perkins coming to see how his work was causing great poverty and suffering for many people, eventually causing him to quit his job.

It was a very depressing book at times, until I came to realize that bringing this evil to the light is an important part of God's work to overcome this darkness and transform the world. I've had to remind myself several times of this in order to keep reading. I also had to go back to the "what you can do about it" section so as not to lose hope. Four times he started writing the book, but always quit for fear of reprisals. Perkins only finished the book after his daughter told him, "If they get you I will see that the truth gets out."

I give thanks for the negotiated settlement that was worked out between the Latin American Presidents. Alleluia! Alleluia! Praise be to God!

People here were glued to the TV watching the negotiations. The people did not want more war. Pray this will help leaders see that talking is much better for making peace than military action.

I also give thanks for working things through with the CPT team. It has given me a sense of peace, and I sense this has helped keep depression away.

Before we came to a decision for me not to do presentations in Colombia, a teacher told me, "You have a standing invitation to speak to my 120 students. Let me know when you can do it." So I asked the team how I should respond and they said, "You should say yes."

So pray for the three slide presentations I will be doing at a local high school with the help of another CPTer and a Colombian friend. Pray that the Lord would speak to the students in the presentations and literature we will give them as they decide whether they should comply with the mandatory military service required by the government. Upon graduation, about 50% of the boys will join the military. The military has been doing irregular recruiting here in Barrancabermeja, by going through the streets in trucks and picking up any male youth. They detain them if they cannot show that they have completed their military service or that they are exempt for various reasons, including being a conscientious objector.

Peace to you today,

Jim

Here I am during a recent Opon visit in a shelter where we sleep. It was one of those sticky nights that did not cool off very much. When we arrived it was pitch black, so the head light I am wearing (a gift from my daughter Emily) really was a big help in putting up the mosquito net and tent. You can see the school in the background. The more than 25 chiggers and mosquito bites on my body I am still nursing with Vicks, which stops the itching.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hope in Iraq

Dear Friends, I have recently finished Peggy Gish’s book An Iraq Journey of Hope and Peace . It brought me to deep prayer at times, helping me to see US soldiers as human beings and breaking down some of my stereotypes of them. It also helped me experience the personal pain of Iraqis who are caught in the war as opposed to hearing statistics in the news. This was peacemaking taking place in my own heart and mind. Peggy’s honesty in sharing her own personal struggle and admitting her own mistakes is challenging to my own peacemaking. Another aspect of this book that was inspiring to me was that when CPTers in Iraq realized they were making a mistake in midst of sharing with Iraqis, they were able at times to change right then and there. This is clear evidence of the Spirit at work. It also gave me a sense of how God was able to use the seemingly small amount of people, just six or so, to make a significant difference for the good in this horrible situation. I am adding to this messag...

An Incredible Prime Minister

           An Incredible Prime Minister     Dear Friends, a hopeful happening,                  Two years ago, Ethiopia was a basket case. The government seemed to be losing control The majority Oromo people were restive under a rule that seemed to rob them of their place. The traditionally powerful Amhara rioted. A state of emergency brought silence on the surface, but underneath the nation seethed. Civil war threatened. A foreigner was killed. Tourism waned. Finally, the prime minister resigned. The church prayed earnestly. Then, unexpectedly, eight months ago, the relatively unknown Abiy Ahmad was elected prime minister. What followed was equally unanticipated. In a bold, courageous acceptance speech; Ahmad announced a policy of peace, love and unity for the nation and its relationships with the rest of the world. He made sweeping promises and, to...

Colombia Reports

Introduction Letter Jim Fitz is a member of Plow Creek Mennonite Church, in Tiskilwa, Illinois. He works full time in peacemaking, which includes about 3 months a year with Christian Peacemaker Teams (CPT) in Barrancabermeja, (Barranca for short) Colombia. In the Barranca area, CPT there provides protection from the threats to and killing of various armed groups by being a nonviolent presence and witness for about 100 farm families. Jim will be in Barranca area Oct.1- Dec. 22. During the application process for Christian Peacemaker Teams, one of the first things that the CPT interviewer said to Jim, " Do you realize this is a very dangerous situation and do you have a bunch of people who can pray for you?" This gave Jim some hesitation but upon some reflection, he felt that he had a church full of people who would pray for him. He also felt a clear call to this work. He felt he was ready to try to risk his life for peace in the same way soldiers risk their li...