Skip to main content

"Good Friends"

Hello friends,

"Long time no see. How are you?" Manuel asked. I responded to my friend, a 73-year-old street vendor, by saying, "I have been having my challenges. My knees have been bothering me a bit." As he removed a container of lotion from his market booth, Manuel said, "This will take away your pain." "How much is it?" I asked as I took out my wallet. Manuel answered insistently, "Oh, absolutely nothing, it's a gift." When I visited Manuel another day he offered me another lotion. It does work, too.

Down the street I came upon another of my friends, Govianno, a tamarindo juice vendor. It was, as usual, close to 100 degrees so I said, "I'll have to have a cup of ice cold tamarindo. How much is it?" He shook his finger to say no, and said, "I am so glad to see you; it's on me." He then refilled my cup as we shared how our families were doing.

Another day I visited Alfonso, who sells reading glasses, and bought a pair. His helper said it was 12 pesos, but then Alfonso insisted it be 8 pesos. He told me he hoped to visit his daughters in Bogota and that takes a lot of money.

The generosity of these friends who are relatively poor compared to me was quite moving as I reflected on our exchanges. Here the poor are teaching me by example how to be generous.

Sunday after church, friends Eberthys and Roberto invited me home for a meal. It was a good time catching up with each other. Then somehow I got to sharing about my excitement about the book, "The Myth of a Christian Nation" by Greg Boyd. I said, "Boyd has helped me see more clearly than ever that as followers of Jesus we need to watch very carefully that we do not align ourselves with any political party. We must be suspicious of all parties and yet support any efforts for peace, justice, mercy, and truth no matter what party."

My hosts then shared, "What is known as the 'Charismatic Church' in Bogota has grown by leaps and bounds. Recently the Colombian President Uribe and his family attended 'Charismatic Church' meetings as a way of drawing more people to that church. The church, as a result, is giving a lot political support to Uribe. Here in Barranca many evangelicals are also aligned with political parties because of favors they receive from them."

"I would really be interested in reading that book," Roberto said. I gave them a copy of the book. Eberthys is an English teacher and will translate for Roberto.

They also shared about the recently elected Mayor Contreras, who is a Pentecostal, and stated, "Usually any time a new mayor is elected, he is expected to give some special favors to each of the Council members to get their cooperation. But Contreras publicly announced he was not going to do that and that money would be spent according to people's needs instead of according to political favors."

Another aspect is that Contreras is relatively poor and he was running against a wealthy politician who owns the TV station. Everyone thought Contreras did not have much of a chance against such wealth and power, but Contreras won by just several hundred votes. Things don't have to continue the same as they have always.

These experiences confirm the principles that Lynne Twist points to in her book The Soul of Money. One truth is that the rich and poor both really need to help each other in the journey to find fulfillment. Another is that it is a lie that the rich and the powerful always win.

Please pray for wisdom and courage for Mayor Contreras.

Please also pray that I would be humble enough to admit my mistakes and to forgive others for any hurts I have felt as I work with the Team on my differences with them.

I am thankful for my Colombian friendships and the generosity they are teaching me.

Peace to you,

Jim

Here I am with a 73-year-old friend in the Opon looking over his 5 acre corn field, which he cleared with a machete and an ax. Notice the leftover stumps. He plans to turn the field into pasture for cattle. It had just rained and the corn was looking good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Incredible Prime Minister

           An Incredible Prime Minister     Dear Friends, a hopeful happening,                  Two years ago, Ethiopia was a basket case. The government seemed to be losing control The majority Oromo people were restive under a rule that seemed to rob them of their place. The traditionally powerful Amhara rioted. A state of emergency brought silence on the surface, but underneath the nation seethed. Civil war threatened. A foreigner was killed. Tourism waned. Finally, the prime minister resigned. The church prayed earnestly. Then, unexpectedly, eight months ago, the relatively unknown Abiy Ahmad was elected prime minister. What followed was equally unanticipated. In a bold, courageous acceptance speech; Ahmad announced a policy of peace, love and unity for the nation and its relationships with the rest of the world. He made sweeping promises and, to the surprise of a world cynical of political promises, kept them. “We need friction but not hatred, argument but not insult,”

"The Repairman's Mother In-law"

Dear Friends, "My mother in-law Nellie read that Peace Pilgrim booklet you gave me. She was very moved by it, and she would like to read more by Peace Pilgrim. Do you have any thing else? And she would like to talk to you too," our repairman excitedly said to me. I responded, "I don't have any thing else by Peace Pilgrim, but you can give her this book Restorative Justice by Howard Zehr." Later I got to talk to Nellie. Nellie then shared, "Oh yes, that was really inspiring. We have to build peace person by person and house by house by the way that we relate to and treat each other. What Peace Pilgrim has to say is very important. And I really like the book Restorative Justice that I am now reading. I especially like to read stuff like that." I responded, "When you get that one finished, I can loan you another book!" The political saga continues in Barranca. A prominent Catholic priest, Padre Francisco, a close consultant to the Mayor, who is

un acontecimiento esperanzador

amigos,  un acontecimiento esperanzador  este es un acontecimiento esperanzador! Hace dos años, Etiopía era un caso estancado. El gobierno parecía estar perdiendo el control. La mayoría de las personas Oromo estaban inquietas bajo una regla que parecía robarles su lugar. La tradicionalmente poderosa Amhara se amotinó. Un estado de emergencia trajo silencio en la superficie, pero debajo de la nación se arremolinaba. Una Guerra civil amenazaba. Un extranjero fue asesinado. El turismo disminuyó. Finalmente, el primer ministro renunció. La iglesia oró fervientemente. Luego, inesperadamente, hace ocho meses, el relativamente desconocido Abiy Ahmad fue elegido primer ministro. Lo que siguió fue igualmente imprevisto. En un audaz y valiente discurso de aceptación; Ahmad anunció una política de paz, amor y unidad para la nación y sus relaciones con el resto del mundo. Hizo grandes promesas y para sorpresa en un mundo cínico de promesas políticas, las cumplió. "Necesitamos