Skip to main content

Books to Read

Jim’s comments on books that have been forming his peacemaking.

The Message Remix Bible by Eugene Peterson

      Eugene’s introductions and his today’s language translation have moved me to make bible reading a central part of my quiet time.  Some important quotes “Jesus is the descent of God to our lives, just as they are, not the ascent of our lives to God, hoping he might approve when he sees how hard we try.” “the bible is about the incredible love of God among us, doing for us what we cannot do for ourselves.”  “We are most ourselves and the people of God when we love.” “As you read ask God to have his way in your life.” It was 1st written in the language people conversed in and for us to best understand it for our lives it seems it would be good to do the same As a result I have begun my 1st quest to read the bible through. I bought a used copy for less than $15.00. Be sure to get the remix which has the verses divided and Eugene’s introductions. 


Biblical Pacifism by Dale Brown

      Just what it says and very clear. Dale faces squarely the hard questions often asked about the Bible and peace from several church traditions. He answers questions like, “What about wars in the Old Testament?” and “What if someone attacks you?” Just wars? Dale also shares his own personal journey with peacemaking.  


The Myth of a Christian Nation- How the Quest for Political Power is Destroying the Church by Gregory Boyd

       Boyd asks boldly what would Jesus do? on the hard questions about  war church/state relationships, and personal attack and supports his answers with the Bible. He has shown me how the ways of the world have crept into my life and replaced the ways of Calvary of love, justice, mercy.  He says we need to be part of politics but be careful not to align ourselves with any party. He calls us to always be suspicious of all political parties, but support whoever calls for Biblical love, justice, mercy, truth and peace etc. Refreshing to hear this from a non traditional peace church brother.     

The Soul of Money by Lynne Twist

      A hope building book, and she does it by sharing her encounters with the riches to the poorest people of the world and what they are doing to help her mission to eradicate hunger in the world. In this book she reveals the false assumptions about money and having enough and how that keeps us from living fulfilling lives. Too much the media is our source of what is happening, which tends to tells us the negative only. Here you get a more truthful picture. And you can’t read this book and not feel positive about the future.  This book is transforming me.    


Irresistible Revolution by Shane Claiborne

He shares many funny but conscience jabbing stories even at himself. His journey took him from first spending two months in a community of lepers with Mother Teresa to immediately going to visit the mega church Willow Creek in Chicago. He has powerful insight into stepping out of our normal assumptions about what church is about and what it means to follow Jesus. Inspiring.   Jesus for  President is a book with a similar flavor Shane co-authored with Chris Haw. 


Desperate Marriages by Gary Chapman 

He uses real situations from his obvious many years of counseling to illustrate the lies that hold us captive, to help us take responsibility for our own thoughts, feelings, and actions, and how to make choices that have a positive impact on you and your spouse. What you can do if your spouse is irresponsible, a workaholic, controlling, Uncommunicative, abusive, unfaithful, addicted to alcohol or drugs, or depressed. He restores hope by sharing over and over how the only options are not a life of misery or separation, and that a good life together can be achieved with hard work and often help from others. His suggestions could save many a marriage that is on the rocks, which is the situation of many as a friend recently remarked.  


Open Mind, Open Heart  by Thomas Keating

      This was my first introduction to Christian meditation. He has been a real encouragement to me to keep practicing my meditation. It is well worth the effort. I sense most of us are infants in learning to pray and meditate. 


It’s a Meaningful Life, It Just Takes Practice by Bo Lozoff

      Lozoff teaches prayer and meditation to prisoners as a way of reducing violence in their lives and prisons. He has many practical suggestions for one just getting started and to one who has been practicing quiet time a long time. He draws on the wisdom of several religious traditions including Christianity.  He has really encouraged me in my effort to keep a quiet time each day. The good life is not achieved without practicing, but it sure is worth it. 


Mediation, A simple 8-point program for translating spiritual ideals into daily life by Eknath Easwaran

       Eknath says  “ you may be saying I am not sure I can meditate, .. I just can’t sit still, I say, try it – you’ll be surprised. Some of my friends were jumping beans before they learned to meditate” He was one of the  1st persons to teach meditation as an accredited course  in theUSA, and this is the course. Very encouraging to keep practicing mediation and prayer, and it has been a life saver in the mist of my recent stress.


Confessions of an Economic Hit Man  by John Perkins

I had always suspected the US government was up to some awful stuff under the table. But this is the 1st time I heard someone say this is how they trained me and what I did to even gov’t leaders. Realizing bringing this to the light is part of ending these bad activities helped me get through this book. His section on what you can do was very encouraging. Chalmers Johnson is another good author on this subject 


Also Unspeakable: Facing Up to Evil in an Age of Genocide and Terror by Os Guinness. 
 

Steps to Inner Peace by Peace Pilgrim 
Peace Pilgrim walked 25,000 miles over more than 25 years sharing about peace to whoever was interested. She fasted unless given food and slept along the road unless given a bed. Full of transforming peace wisdom. Yours for only 25 cents.                                                          

The Journey Toward  Reconciliation by John Paul Lederach

      Lederach has worked on reconciliation in many places: Nicaragua, Ireland, in many churches and in his own family relationships.  A very personal account drawing on these experiences to teach the nuts and bolts of Biblical peacemaking.  It has been very inspiring and challenging to me. Conflict is an opportunity - a gift - to transform the difficult and the negative into something positive, which has not been my way of seeing conflict.  Excellent.      


Blood Brothers by Elias Chacour

I never had a clear understanding of the Palestinian/Israeli conflict till I read this book. To understand the conflict from Elias’s own experiences not his opinions was very powerful.  Elias is one the most Christian persons I know in returning good for evil.   He is a Christian Palestinian priest who grew up during the formation of the state of Israel. His family is part of a Church that dates back to the very beginnings of Christianity. This book has been very helpful for me in coming to understand in a very personal and new way how the conflict has and is affecting both Jews and Palestinians living in the area.

      In many ways I see him as the Martin Luther King of the Middle East, working tirelessly at reconciliation in the Israel/ Palestinian conflict. One of his projects is to build schools where both Israeli and Palestinian children attend. He opens each school by showing “Diary of Anne Frank” so everyone knows the Jewish holocaust experience. It was a very moving “I couldn’t put it down book.”  


Hebron Journal  and At-Tuwani Journal by Art Gish

Art has spent many years in Hebron and At-tuwani with CPT. this is a moving account of CPT’s  day-to-day  peacemaking  in  both Israel and Palestine.   


Iraq: a Journey of Hope by Peggy Gish

A deeply spiritual account of day to day CPT work in Iraq since before the war started.  Peggy is a very sensitive person. Very moving.  


Getting in the Way  edited by Tricia Gates Brown

      A glimpse of many different CPT projects and stories through the eyes of different people who were there.  


The Powers that Be by Walter Wink

      This book has been really central in forming my peacemaking. I have read it 4-5 times. Wink’s call to love our enemies and to prayer has made me think about who my enemies are. Some have been politicians, so I put them on my prayer list. And I was amazed  to see how that changed my attitude toward them in that I see them more as humans and less as evil. I still feel anger sometimes because of some of the things they do. God is still working on that in me. Wink helped me look at myself and realize how I need to change to become a person for peace. He writes stories from his personal experience. Really good.   


Boundaries in Marriage by Cloud and Townsend

Through this book I came to see how personal relations are an important part of peacemaking. Here I learned, among many helpful things, that the only person I can change is me and that is where peace begins.   


The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle

Putting into practice his challenging suggestions of living in the here and now has been a major part in helping me to deal with my difficult depression in my life journey. He writes out of his own struggles with depression. I have read it 4-5 times.    


A New Earth- a Wakening to Your Life’s Purpose by Eckart Tolle

A step further into the power of living in the here and now.  Some practical advice on moving away from our preoccupation with fear of the future and regrets about the past. Reading it quietly, and just a little bit each day, has helped bring more calm into my life.     Jim Fitz 


The Five Languages of Love: How to Express Heartfelt Commitment to Your Mate by Gary Chapman

  A classic on this issue, I hear even the Amish use it.  It teaches one the importance of knowing your mate’s love languages. Otherwise, we often are missing each other despite our best intentions.  The five categories are: Words of Affirmation, Quality Time, Receiving Gifts, Acts of Service, and Physical Touch. Very helpful. 


A Simple Path by Mother Teresa

Mother Teresa cuts through all the clutter and complication we put on the gospel. She is a challenge to all of us to simply love. Powerful.    


Let your Life Speak: Listening for the Voice of Vocation by Parker J. Palmer

      Is the life I am living the same as the one that wants to live in me? With this begins a moving mediation on finding one’s true calling. In writing this book, he draws on his personal journey through depression which I identified with in my own journey. A very good book.      


Real Sex “ the naked truth about chastity” by Lauren Winner

A most honest and healthy look at sex. It brings to light the violence that is happening regarding sex that we never talk about or deal with. I wish I would have read this book when I was a teen. She shows by her example how important it is to have the accountability and help of friends in  dealing with sexual issues. Excellent. 
 

Poustinia-Christian Spirituality of the East for Western Man by Catherine Doherty

This brought home to me how the practice of Jesus Prayer – “Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me, a sinner” - could help me through my  pilgrim journey. It is a classic.  It moved me deeply me. 
 

In Search of  Refuge by Yvonne Dilling
Yvonne helped swim El Salvadorian refugees across the Lempa River while dodging  the El Salvadorian  helicopter gunfire in 1981.  Yvonne then lived 3 years with them in refugee camps in Honduras. These are her experiences. One can see in this story God’s hand in some seemingly impossible times.. These people from Valle Nuevo were in the refugee camps with Yvonne. Being friends with people who live with dirt floors has been good for our church. We visit them yearly and they have visited us some 6 times.  

Popular posts from this blog

An Incredible Prime Minister

           An Incredible Prime Minister     Dear Friends, a hopeful happening,                  Two years ago, Ethiopia was a basket case. The government seemed to be losing control The majority Oromo people were restive under a rule that seemed to rob them of their place. The traditionally powerful Amhara rioted. A state of emergency brought silence on the surface, but underneath the nation seethed. Civil war threatened. A foreigner was killed. Tourism waned. Finally, the prime minister resigned. The church prayed earnestly. Then, unexpectedly, eight months ago, the relatively unknown Abiy Ahmad was elected prime minister. What followed was equally unanticipated. In a bold, courageous acceptance speech; Ahmad announced a policy of peace, love and unity for the nation and its relationships with the rest of the world. He made sweeping promises and, to the surprise of a world cynical of political promises, kept them. “We need friction but not hatred, argument but not insult,”

"The Repairman's Mother In-law"

Dear Friends, "My mother in-law Nellie read that Peace Pilgrim booklet you gave me. She was very moved by it, and she would like to read more by Peace Pilgrim. Do you have any thing else? And she would like to talk to you too," our repairman excitedly said to me. I responded, "I don't have any thing else by Peace Pilgrim, but you can give her this book Restorative Justice by Howard Zehr." Later I got to talk to Nellie. Nellie then shared, "Oh yes, that was really inspiring. We have to build peace person by person and house by house by the way that we relate to and treat each other. What Peace Pilgrim has to say is very important. And I really like the book Restorative Justice that I am now reading. I especially like to read stuff like that." I responded, "When you get that one finished, I can loan you another book!" The political saga continues in Barranca. A prominent Catholic priest, Padre Francisco, a close consultant to the Mayor, who is

informe de salud

  Queridos amigos, Les escribo para informarles que hace unas semanas me diagnosticaron Parkinson vascular. Tenía problemas para mantener el equilibrio y caminar. Vi a un neurólogo y me hicieron una resonancia magnética de mi cerebro, y a partir de eso y de mi historial, me diagnosticaron Parkinson vascular. Me siento muy bien con mi doctora. Mi Parkinson Vascular es causado por mini accidentes cerebrovasculares que bloquean la sangre en la parte del cerebro que controla la marcha. El Parkinson vascular afecta principalmente a la parte inferior del cuerpo, y por lo tanto, afecta la marcha y el equilibrio y regularmente no suele provocar temblores. Es diferente del Parkinson clásico que es causado por la falta de dopamina. El tratamiento principal para el Parkinson vascular es tratar de detener los accidentes cerebrovasculares manteniendo bajo control factores como la presión arterial y el colesterol; esto puede evitar que la enfermedad progrese. Por lo tanto, no necesariamente empeorar