Skip to main content

Traveling to Georgia

Hello Friends,       

I will be spending a week at Jubilee Partners, a rural community that is dedicated to helping refugees learn how to adjust to our culture. I will be responding to their many invitations over the years to visit them and will be giving four presentations while in Georgia. Pray we may come to realize anew how God is using people to bring justice and peace in this world of violence from the sharings.

I will also visit two nephews, one of which I haven’t seen for 30 or 40 years. That will be a special reunion.

Since Lyn’s request for our separation one and a half years ago I have been part of the 11 member household called “The Clearing” at Reba Place Mennonite Fellowship. It has been a wonderful haven for me during this very painful time. It has made me feel this is what the church should be about – supporting each other in such times of deep pain. I am very grateful to feel safe and supported. 
The Clearling Household I help Bob, in the lower right, in exchange for part my room and board.
I am also glad to say that Lyn and I have friendly visits fairly often.

Please pray for us, our four kids, and four grandkids that we all might have peace through our adjustment to the separations.

Thank you very much for your prayers,

 Shalom, Jim
During a recent trip to Plow Creek, where I farmed for 20 years, I was able to spend some time with my friend Dennis Zehr and help him replenish his depleted firewood supply due to this hard winter of snow and cold. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hope in Iraq

Dear Friends, I have recently finished Peggy Gish’s book An Iraq Journey of Hope and Peace . It brought me to deep prayer at times, helping me to see US soldiers as human beings and breaking down some of my stereotypes of them. It also helped me experience the personal pain of Iraqis who are caught in the war as opposed to hearing statistics in the news. This was peacemaking taking place in my own heart and mind. Peggy’s honesty in sharing her own personal struggle and admitting her own mistakes is challenging to my own peacemaking. Another aspect of this book that was inspiring to me was that when CPTers in Iraq realized they were making a mistake in midst of sharing with Iraqis, they were able at times to change right then and there. This is clear evidence of the Spirit at work. It also gave me a sense of how God was able to use the seemingly small amount of people, just six or so, to make a significant difference for the good in this horrible situation. I am adding to this messag...

An Incredible Prime Minister

           An Incredible Prime Minister     Dear Friends, a hopeful happening,                  Two years ago, Ethiopia was a basket case. The government seemed to be losing control The majority Oromo people were restive under a rule that seemed to rob them of their place. The traditionally powerful Amhara rioted. A state of emergency brought silence on the surface, but underneath the nation seethed. Civil war threatened. A foreigner was killed. Tourism waned. Finally, the prime minister resigned. The church prayed earnestly. Then, unexpectedly, eight months ago, the relatively unknown Abiy Ahmad was elected prime minister. What followed was equally unanticipated. In a bold, courageous acceptance speech; Ahmad announced a policy of peace, love and unity for the nation and its relationships with the rest of the world. He made sweeping promises and, to...

Colombia Reports

Introduction Letter Jim Fitz is a member of Plow Creek Mennonite Church, in Tiskilwa, Illinois. He works full time in peacemaking, which includes about 3 months a year with Christian Peacemaker Teams (CPT) in Barrancabermeja, (Barranca for short) Colombia. In the Barranca area, CPT there provides protection from the threats to and killing of various armed groups by being a nonviolent presence and witness for about 100 farm families. Jim will be in Barranca area Oct.1- Dec. 22. During the application process for Christian Peacemaker Teams, one of the first things that the CPT interviewer said to Jim, " Do you realize this is a very dangerous situation and do you have a bunch of people who can pray for you?" This gave Jim some hesitation but upon some reflection, he felt that he had a church full of people who would pray for him. He also felt a clear call to this work. He felt he was ready to try to risk his life for peace in the same way soldiers risk their li...