Skip to main content

Creating On Earth Peace in my church


Hello, Friend February 15, 2012

Creating On Earth Peace in my church.

Henry: I really appreciate the way you reach out to people here at Living Water Mennonite Community church. Your example and practice is a very important and good part of our church. We have been best friends for a long time.

Henry continuing: But I just want to let you know that when I talked to you about changing Pot Lucks to two times a month I really felt you didn’t take me seriously. I felt dismissed, and that really offended me. I’ve been stewing over this ever since that happened over 2 years ago. I feel it has broken the goodness of the close relationship that God had given us.

Judy (paraphrasing back): You really felt hurt when you talked to me about changing the Pot Lucks. You felt I dismissed you and did not take you seriously. You have been stewing over this for years now. It hurt you to lose our closeness. I am really sorry.

Henry: I think that sums it up pretty well. It is good to hear those words from you.

Theresa: Henry, what could you have done differently to avoid this?

Henry: I could have talked to Judy long ago: that would have resolved this much sooner. I would not have had to go through so much hurt. I probably would have been a bigger help to the church if I had done that.

Judy: I am ready to forgive you. Let's hug and start over.

This is a theoretical short version of dialogues that happened in a workshop on Saturday as our church community worked on building peace and unity among our people. The workshop was led by 2 persons from On Earth Peace, an organization of Church of the Brethren.

We first wrote down a hurt and the person who hurt us. The brothers and/or sisters then sat face to face, plus a mediator, all in the middle of a circle of some 40 from our church. The On Earth Peace mediator helped keep them using “I “statements, focusing on how it made them feel, and kept them from getting into theory or blaming each other.

There must have been 20 some interactions of persons being quite vulnerable before the church practicing Matthew 18. It healed lots of relationships and was an encouragement for all of us to examine, face, and deal with our conflicts in the way Jesus taught. It was a very heavy day, but very refreshing to see Matthew 18 not just talked about but practiced. One brother remarked, “This is the kind of Anabaptist church I want to be part of.”

This occasion came about as a way to help us work on developing new leadership for our church. We have been working on this for nearly 3 years. As a church we have several groups of people, including Cambodian, Africa African, Nepalese, black and white North American, and a Hispanic group; some do not speak English. All this makes for complex interactions as we seek to find unity and leadership that can serve everybody well.

Say a prayer for us as we seek God’s help in this challenge.

Shalom, Jim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Incredible Prime Minister

           An Incredible Prime Minister     Dear Friends, a hopeful happening,                  Two years ago, Ethiopia was a basket case. The government seemed to be losing control The majority Oromo people were restive under a rule that seemed to rob them of their place. The traditionally powerful Amhara rioted. A state of emergency brought silence on the surface, but underneath the nation seethed. Civil war threatened. A foreigner was killed. Tourism waned. Finally, the prime minister resigned. The church prayed earnestly. Then, unexpectedly, eight months ago, the relatively unknown Abiy Ahmad was elected prime minister. What followed was equally unanticipated. In a bold, courageous acceptance speech; Ahmad announced a policy of peace, love and unity for the nation and its relationships with the rest of the world. He made sweeping promises and, to the surprise of a world cynical of political promises, kept them. “We need friction but not hatred, argument but not insult,”

"The Repairman's Mother In-law"

Dear Friends, "My mother in-law Nellie read that Peace Pilgrim booklet you gave me. She was very moved by it, and she would like to read more by Peace Pilgrim. Do you have any thing else? And she would like to talk to you too," our repairman excitedly said to me. I responded, "I don't have any thing else by Peace Pilgrim, but you can give her this book Restorative Justice by Howard Zehr." Later I got to talk to Nellie. Nellie then shared, "Oh yes, that was really inspiring. We have to build peace person by person and house by house by the way that we relate to and treat each other. What Peace Pilgrim has to say is very important. And I really like the book Restorative Justice that I am now reading. I especially like to read stuff like that." I responded, "When you get that one finished, I can loan you another book!" The political saga continues in Barranca. A prominent Catholic priest, Padre Francisco, a close consultant to the Mayor, who is

un acontecimiento esperanzador

amigos,  un acontecimiento esperanzador  este es un acontecimiento esperanzador! Hace dos años, Etiopía era un caso estancado. El gobierno parecía estar perdiendo el control. La mayoría de las personas Oromo estaban inquietas bajo una regla que parecía robarles su lugar. La tradicionalmente poderosa Amhara se amotinó. Un estado de emergencia trajo silencio en la superficie, pero debajo de la nación se arremolinaba. Una Guerra civil amenazaba. Un extranjero fue asesinado. El turismo disminuyó. Finalmente, el primer ministro renunció. La iglesia oró fervientemente. Luego, inesperadamente, hace ocho meses, el relativamente desconocido Abiy Ahmad fue elegido primer ministro. Lo que siguió fue igualmente imprevisto. En un audaz y valiente discurso de aceptación; Ahmad anunció una política de paz, amor y unidad para la nación y sus relaciones con el resto del mundo. Hizo grandes promesas y para sorpresa en un mundo cínico de promesas políticas, las cumplió. "Necesitamos