Skip to main content

A New Direction for My Peacemaking

Over the last six years, my work with CPT in Colombia and the subsequent sharing of that work in slide presentations here in the US has been the centerpiece of my peacemaking work. On Dec. 15 I received a phone call and email from the CPT team that they had decided to ask me not to return to Colombia to be part of the team. At the same time they strongly affirmed my work and passion for peace work. This decision was a shock to me, for although there have been differences at times between me and CPT, I thought that last spring we had worked them through.
I want to say first that despite our differences, I see CPT doing lots of good, enabling Colombian farmers to stay on their land, saving lives, and exposing wrongs to the light, to name a few. And because of this I hope the Lord can somehow work things out for me to promote CPT here in the USA. We will see.
Although this news has been extremely difficult for me emotionally, I sense God has used it to help me see that it is time to separate from the CPT Colombian Team so that I might be open to a new direction that is in the making. As I’ve tried to fit into the CPT ways and expectations of me, I have felt it has been stifling the ways the Lord wanted to use me. And I feel this separation will free me up to be more available to people and the Lord. I look forward to the new direction this will take my peacemaking.
I am very thankful to God that he has given me numerous friends to share and pray with me about this, and I am grateful for His enabling me to keep a disciplined quiet time during this time. Through all this help I have come to the conclusion, that in order to move ahead with my life, I need to work with CPT to hear more specifically what brought them to ask me not to return, so that I might hear what the Lord has to teach me. This feels like a very hard task, but I am confid
ent the Lord will be my help. And I ask you also to help by praying for me to be open to what I have to learn. I have come to an amazing peace about it all, considering how much of my identity had become wrapped up in this work.
I see an important part of my work as sharing how God is active today in the lives of people, from ordinary persons to world leaders, in bringing in his kingdom of peace and justice. I see making people aware of this good news important in this time when many people live with an underlying attitude of hopelessness for the future.
I am looking into possible involvement in Colombia through the Presbyterians and/or the Mennonite Brethren there, as well as other avenues that might open up. I have a discernment group here at Living Water Church to help me decide
on my peacemaking future direction.

Say a prayer for:
1. Me to be open to what I have to learn
2. blessings on CPT Colombia Tea
m
3. yo
ur enemies, love them and thus join the God revolution

Many people of our Living Water Church are involved in helping refugees from Nepal, Iraq, Congo and other places. Here I am in our meeting house with three newly arrived people from Nepal and two people from our church who are involved in helping refugees. Refugees have to support themselves after three months - a challenge in these economic conditions. I spent one day (6am-10pm) going to Plow Creek and getting a truck load of our extra furniture and then distributing it to refugee families from the Congo and Iraq here in our neighborhood. I have had several good conversations, one in Spanish with a Mexican. He told me his journey from the emptiness of a life of wealth to a life committed to the Lord, where he has been used to break up crime and work on racial reconciliation.
If you are wanting to donate to my peacemaking, please wait until we have a tax deductible address to send it to - hopefully that will be very soon.
Please note our new address below.
Thanks for listening. Peace, joy, and love to you. Jim
Jim Fitz
1545 W Pratt Blvd. Apt. 303
Chicago IL 60626
Phone 1-773-856-3351

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Incredible Prime Minister

           An Incredible Prime Minister     Dear Friends, a hopeful happening,                  Two years ago, Ethiopia was a basket case. The government seemed to be losing control The majority Oromo people were restive under a rule that seemed to rob them of their place. The traditionally powerful Amhara rioted. A state of emergency brought silence on the surface, but underneath the nation seethed. Civil war threatened. A foreigner was killed. Tourism waned. Finally, the prime minister resigned. The church prayed earnestly. Then, unexpectedly, eight months ago, the relatively unknown Abiy Ahmad was elected prime minister. What followed was equally unanticipated. In a bold, courageous acceptance speech; Ahmad announced a policy of peace, love and unity for the nation and its relationships with the rest of the world. He made sweeping promises and, to the surprise of a world cynical of political promises, kept them. “We need friction but not hatred, argument but not insult,”

"The Repairman's Mother In-law"

Dear Friends, "My mother in-law Nellie read that Peace Pilgrim booklet you gave me. She was very moved by it, and she would like to read more by Peace Pilgrim. Do you have any thing else? And she would like to talk to you too," our repairman excitedly said to me. I responded, "I don't have any thing else by Peace Pilgrim, but you can give her this book Restorative Justice by Howard Zehr." Later I got to talk to Nellie. Nellie then shared, "Oh yes, that was really inspiring. We have to build peace person by person and house by house by the way that we relate to and treat each other. What Peace Pilgrim has to say is very important. And I really like the book Restorative Justice that I am now reading. I especially like to read stuff like that." I responded, "When you get that one finished, I can loan you another book!" The political saga continues in Barranca. A prominent Catholic priest, Padre Francisco, a close consultant to the Mayor, who is

informe de salud

  Queridos amigos, Les escribo para informarles que hace unas semanas me diagnosticaron Parkinson vascular. Tenía problemas para mantener el equilibrio y caminar. Vi a un neurólogo y me hicieron una resonancia magnética de mi cerebro, y a partir de eso y de mi historial, me diagnosticaron Parkinson vascular. Me siento muy bien con mi doctora. Mi Parkinson Vascular es causado por mini accidentes cerebrovasculares que bloquean la sangre en la parte del cerebro que controla la marcha. El Parkinson vascular afecta principalmente a la parte inferior del cuerpo, y por lo tanto, afecta la marcha y el equilibrio y regularmente no suele provocar temblores. Es diferente del Parkinson clásico que es causado por la falta de dopamina. El tratamiento principal para el Parkinson vascular es tratar de detener los accidentes cerebrovasculares manteniendo bajo control factores como la presión arterial y el colesterol; esto puede evitar que la enfermedad progrese. Por lo tanto, no necesariamente empeorar