Skip to main content

Shirtless Brother at Cornerstone

Hello friends,

"Would you like to hear about how we are reducing violence in the war zones of the world?" I said to the shirtless brother as he hurriedly passed our booth amongst the crowd seemingly trying to avoid us. He responded, "You wouldn't want to talk to me; I just got back from deployment in Iraq." He then stared at the photo of Art Gish standing in front of the tank to save the farmers' market in Hebron and then pointing to the photo said, "I've been
there."

"You know, I would really like to hear your story," I responded. Then he began to tell Tracey (who is in the army reserves) and me his story. "I was part of the first troops from Kuwait to take Baghdad when the war started. The people welcomed us; they were really glad for our arri
val. I was a mortar launcher."

Tracey shared, "I wanted to deploy to Iraq to help the people, but my unit will never be deployed to Iraq and besides I am in administration." He responded, "Oh, you should try to go to Iraq. It would be a good experience for you."

I asked, "Are you married?" "Yes, I am", he answered. I continued, "Are you still married after all those years in war?" "Yes," he answered again. "Well, that is a miracle!" I responded. Then he
followed with, "You're sure right there."

With almost a tear in his eye, he continued, "If I hadn't come to trust and know God in a deeper way, I don't think I could have made it. It was a good experience though." He and Tracey went on to share about the invasion in a lot of military jargon I could not understand. Tracey connected with him in I way I could not.

He than went on to tell us, "I hav
e four children. One was just born a few months ago. I am studying in a Bible school. I just want to become more knowledgeable about the Bible. My wife and I are feeling called to be missionaries, though we don't know where that will take us."

I asked, "Would you like to hear what we are doing in Peacemaking?" "Sure, let's hear it", he responded openly. I answered pointing to our photos, "Here on the Opon River in Colombia, we are giving protection to about 80 farm families from the threats of the guerrillas and paramilitaries. I have given 2-3 months each year for the last five years there."


He ended up taking our literature and signing up for our emails. I don't think either of us changed each other's mind about war. I don't feel I understand it, but I sensed it was a holy exchange in that even though we disagreed deeply about war, we parted appreciating each other as persons. Jesus was there.

Give thanks for:
For those who prayed for the help I
needed for Cornerstone. It seems I could not have asked for better help. Each of them added a fresh and different approach to engaging the people who stopped at our booth.

Say a prayer for:
-For each of the seeds the Lord sowed at the Festival that they would sprout, grow, and flourish.
-For Tracey who is filing for Conscientious Objector status without the support of her family, who can't seem to unde
rstand why she is doing it. She asks for prayer for guidance as to when to submit her request.
-For the US Colombian foreign aid bill which passed the House but still has to pass the Senate. Encourage your Senators to support it and not change it.


CPT booth at the Cornerstone Christian music Festival.

At the left is Tracey Harmon, who is in the Reserves; next yours truly; then Tim Nafziger, a CPTer; and at the right Logan Laturi, who served in Iraq. While in the Army, Logan came under the conviction that he could no longer carry a gun. When his unit was redeployed to Iraq in August 2006, he begged to return with them, but without a gun. The Army refused his request. After an honorable Army discharge, he then went to Israel/West Bank with CPT. Tracey and Logan plan to marry in the fall.

Peace,

Jim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Incredible Prime Minister

           An Incredible Prime Minister     Dear Friends, a hopeful happening,                  Two years ago, Ethiopia was a basket case. The government seemed to be losing control The majority Oromo people were restive under a rule that seemed to rob them of their place. The traditionally powerful Amhara rioted. A state of emergency brought silence on the surface, but underneath the nation seethed. Civil war threatened. A foreigner was killed. Tourism waned. Finally, the prime minister resigned. The church prayed earnestly. Then, unexpectedly, eight months ago, the relatively unknown Abiy Ahmad was elected prime minister. What followed was equally unanticipated. In a bold, courageous acceptance speech; Ahmad announced a policy of peace, love and unity for the nation and its relationships with the rest of the world. He made sweeping promises and, to the surprise of a world cynical of political promises, kept them. “We need friction but not hatred, argument but not insult,”

"The Repairman's Mother In-law"

Dear Friends, "My mother in-law Nellie read that Peace Pilgrim booklet you gave me. She was very moved by it, and she would like to read more by Peace Pilgrim. Do you have any thing else? And she would like to talk to you too," our repairman excitedly said to me. I responded, "I don't have any thing else by Peace Pilgrim, but you can give her this book Restorative Justice by Howard Zehr." Later I got to talk to Nellie. Nellie then shared, "Oh yes, that was really inspiring. We have to build peace person by person and house by house by the way that we relate to and treat each other. What Peace Pilgrim has to say is very important. And I really like the book Restorative Justice that I am now reading. I especially like to read stuff like that." I responded, "When you get that one finished, I can loan you another book!" The political saga continues in Barranca. A prominent Catholic priest, Padre Francisco, a close consultant to the Mayor, who is

un acontecimiento esperanzador

amigos,  un acontecimiento esperanzador  este es un acontecimiento esperanzador! Hace dos años, Etiopía era un caso estancado. El gobierno parecía estar perdiendo el control. La mayoría de las personas Oromo estaban inquietas bajo una regla que parecía robarles su lugar. La tradicionalmente poderosa Amhara se amotinó. Un estado de emergencia trajo silencio en la superficie, pero debajo de la nación se arremolinaba. Una Guerra civil amenazaba. Un extranjero fue asesinado. El turismo disminuyó. Finalmente, el primer ministro renunció. La iglesia oró fervientemente. Luego, inesperadamente, hace ocho meses, el relativamente desconocido Abiy Ahmad fue elegido primer ministro. Lo que siguió fue igualmente imprevisto. En un audaz y valiente discurso de aceptación; Ahmad anunció una política de paz, amor y unidad para la nación y sus relaciones con el resto del mundo. Hizo grandes promesas y para sorpresa en un mundo cínico de promesas políticas, las cumplió. "Necesitamos